If the student is over the age of seven, thirty minutes of practice is a good goal to set. If they are younger than seven, their attention span isn’t very long. I suggest that you break up their practice time. Have them practice two or three times each day.
Here is a great rule of thumb:
- After the music lesson with the teacher, have the student run through their new lesson before they go to bed. (Play each piece one time.)
- First day of practice after their music lesson, have the student play each song 5 times. (5 is the magic number for getting song correct!)
- Second day after their music lesson, practice each piece 4 times.
- Third day practice each piece 3 times.
- The rest of the week play each piece 2 times.
Don’t ever make practice a punishment and don’t ever withhold practice as a punishment!
I hope this helps parents get jazzed about their student’s lesson and gets them to participate in the learning process!